Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I've Arrived!!

pleth⋅o⋅ra: overabundance; excess
pot⋅pour⋅ri: any mixture, esp. of unrelated objects, subjects, etc.

I'm finally here in the land of the blogs...the last of the Draper siblings to make it, but hey, don't people like to save the best for last? LOL...honestly, my siblings each have a great blog, and my Dad's isn't too shabby either (see the list of blogs that I follow), so I thought hey, I've got a few things to say myself.

Not just a few things to say...a PLETHORA of POTPOURRI! I teach middle school math to 7th grade girls - that fact alone will provide loads of entertainment. I'm single, 41 years old, and a new homeowner...I'm working on my weight (wishing and hoping for the motivation of my sister (http://djdjd04.blogspot.com/) and my good girlfriend Stacey)...I'm an active member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated...I have some of the greatest friends and best nieces and nephews (biological and otherwise) imaginable...I'm super crafty and have an ever-growing list of projects in the works (yes, I'll share photos). For the most part, life is good.

Like I said earlier, I have plenty of potential topics to "blog on", but first things first...

I'm two days late...but a gi-normous HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my father, Mr. William Ralph Draper, Sr. I call him "Pops", "Poppo", or the always tried and true "Daddy". He has been my biggest motivator, my greatest influence, my most spirited cheerleader, and the most wonderful dad that any girl could ever ask to have. I would put my dad up against ANYONE'S dad...yes, sometimes we call him "Crazy T-Tone", but he's crazy like a FOX!! The proof is in the pudding - he, along with my mother, made 4 great children and molded us into 4 positive, independent, incredible (modest?) adults. Is it genetics? Nature or nurture? I think a little bit of both...


Me & Willy D with our Daddy

In my brother's blog (www.thevillagevet.blogspot.com), he thanked my father for "not trying to be my friend while growing up"...that really made me think. When you have a child, it is your job to mold that child into a self-sufficient adult who can be an asset to society. From my observation, it seems that so many parents today try to be the "cool friend parent" instead of the disciplinarian that it takes to "build" an adult. Growing up, I know there were times when my siblings and I wished that our dad was "cooler". Upon reflection, now I'm glad that he WASN'T. As adults, my siblings and I realize that our dad is one of the greatest and COOLEST MEN EVER!! And the best thing is that NOW he is definitely a "cool friend parent" to all of us.

Me & Daddy at Kimberly's wedding

Talk about blessed!!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Hi Sissy!! What's up with this pink layout? I'm just sayin'! LOL! Can't wait to read more. . .now that you have arrived! :)

    By the way, since I am the only sib(and American) not on Facebook, I am glad to see y'all blogging so I can keep up with the haps. Now that I think of it, even Mommy and Daddy are on Facebook. . . .hmmmm. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

    ReplyDelete